Wednesday, July 15, 2015

A Watercolor Blanket || Spoonflower

Hi Friends! 

I recently collaborated with Spoonflower and I am in love with the finished product! Spoonflower is an online shop where you can create and purchase fabric, wallpaper, and gift wrap.  You can upload your own designs or choose from hundreds of designs from talented artists to create a truly unique product. Another nice feature is that you design and sell your own designs so others can use your prints for fabric, wallpaper, and gift wrap.  How cool is that?!?  I knew I wanted to make a special gift for my niece's birthday and Spoonflower delivered exactly what I envisioned! 


To begin, I uploaded a watercolor picture that my sister had custom painted.  She didn't know what it was for so it took a little coaxing to get her to paint it without sharing why ;) Having a summer birthday, I wanted to create something fun and summery so I went with the popsicle theme and really wanted to showcase the watercolor aspect of the picture. Allie from Spoonflower was so helpful with this project and suggested using their new lawn ultra fabric, which is SO soft and printed beautifully.  After the picture is uploaded, you chose the fabric and amount then add it to your cart. Shipping is super fast and you receive a customized product! 




For the back of the blanket, I used some hot pink quilted fabric that I had and purchased hot pink pom pom garland for the border...swoon.  Pom pom anything is my jam.  I cut the fabric into a perfect square, measuring 36" x 36" and pinned the fabric together, inside out. Then, I sewed around the edges while leaving a small opening to flip it right side in.  After the edged were all sewn and the fabric was flipped with the design on the outside, I pinned the pom pom garland along the outer edges of the Spoonflower fabric.  I chose to put it on the outside because I really loved the look of the border against the watercolor fabric.  The garland was slightly tricky because you need to sew the inside and then go back and sew the outside to ensure it lays flat, but if you use a zipper foot it's much easier to accommodate the bulkiness.  I had fabric left over, so I'm planning on creating little pillows to go with it.   

Note:  These pictures have not been enhanced at all so you can see exactly how the fabric was printed with amazing colors . 










I'm so happy with the finished product and I cannot wait to use Spoonflower again to create something one of a kind!  A huge thank you to Spoonflower for providing this fabric to complete my vision!  Be sure to check them out on Instagram as well, @spoonflower, and their website: Spoonflower.com

3 comments:

  1. Wow, thanks for sharing this shop! I look forward to checking it out!! Great job on the blanket!! (New follower from http://www.lifesiknowit2009.blogspot.ca)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ashley, So happy to have you as a new follower! Spoonflower is so fun...enjoy checking it out!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by...I'd love to hear from you!

Blogger template designed By The Sunday Studio.